Staff Parent Association (SPA)
The SPA plays a significant role at Muswell Hill Primary School. We run various events that help support a unified school community and in the process raise funds to support our school. If you have a child at the school, you are automatically a member.
As a voluntary organisation the SPA is only as strong as our contribution to it. We hope you will be encouraged to get involved as it can enhance your child's education and enjoyment at Muswell Hill Primary School.
- To raise money for the school to spend as the teaching/management staff determines. In the last few years, we have managed to raise an impressive £15-20k each year thanks to the hard work of the SPA, class reps and parents. For example, the whiteboards & projectors in each classroom were provided by SPA fundraising efforts and we have an active team of parents involved with upgrading reading materials and reading corners in the classroom using funds raised in our Read-A-Fun. We have also provided extra facilities and equipment for the school, including digital cameras for class projects and new music stands as requested by the school.
- To run events that the school community can support, participate and enjoy. These events include Fireworks night (in November), a Winter Fair (in December) and a Summer Fair (in July). We also run parent & carer-only evenings, such as our annual quiz night and our new (and very popular) international night. A chance for parents to meet each other, enjoy themselves and socialise, all in a good cause! Check the dates in the calendar section of the web-site and synch them with your own on-line calendars at home.
Our Structure The SPA is a registered charity, charity number 1030545, and therefore it has 'trustees'. The “Trustees” are the parents who form the SPA committee.
Anyone can join the committee and we are always encouraging new members.
This year the committee has a Chair, two co-Treasurers, Secretary, and general members. The Treasurers, the Chair and the Secretary are voted in at the Annual General Meeting (usually held in October). The link between the Committee and all the parents is facilitated by the Class Reps. If you think that you are interested in joining, please come along to our AGM in October to see what we do and how you can help. If you would like to know more about us, please contact any of the members listed below (by email or stop us in the playground) for an informal chat.
Class Reps One way of getting involved is to volunteer to be a Class Rep for a school year. Class Reps are a vital link in the school between parents, the staff and the SPA. It need not be a time consuming position, especially when the duty is shared, which is why we encourage at least two Reps per class.
The Class Rep role is as follows:
- Maintain the class contact list of names, addresses and e-mails;
- Help foster a community amongst class parents and carers by organizing coffee mornings/drinks/meals depending on what you all want to do;
- Galvanise parents/carers to deliver class cake stalls (2 per year run in conjunction with the other same year class) and stalls at the Winter and Summer Fairs;
- Organise any class collections e.g. teachers at Christmas;
- Work across classes and in collaboration with the SPA Committee, to lead the event allocated to that year group;
- Find a replacement for the following year!
Skills we need: If anyone has any of the following skills or time to help and wants to get involved please contact us:
- Stage management skills
- Designing posters/printing ability
- Filming/making and editing DVD
- Writing quizzes or being a quiz master
- Just being willing to help out at events, to set up and clear away
- Bake Sale co-ordinator
SPA Newsletter: You can view our latest newsletter by using the following link:Calendar of SPA events for 2017 SPA Newsletter March 2017 SPA Newsletter January 2017 SPA Newsletter AGM 2016 SPA Autumn News 2016 SPA Newsletter June 2016 SPA Volunteer Guide
SPA Video: You can view our latest video by using the following link:SPA Video 2016 MHP-SPA Fireworks 2016 Contact information Please use the following link to see contact details online: SPA Members Contcat List